Senior Data Analyst – Routes & Network Planning
Routes & Network Planning is at the heart of the airline. It’s an inherently commercial area which has as the task to maximise the profitability of Jetstar’s network of routes devising the right strategy for the long term and the right tactics for the short term. To achieve this, we fully understand the revenue dynamics which start from understanding who our customers are, what travel options they have, what they are willing to pay, time preferences, etc., and the costs dynamics that involve understanding the costs of flying, aircraft patterning, financial incentives and also understanding what is possible given infrastructure constraints (e.g. what aircraft types can fly where).
Ultimately, Network Planning is about combining these revenue, cost, operational and strategic lenses to determine the optimal route/aircraft deployment to fly the right aircraft, at the right places, at the right frequencies, at the right times to optimise profitability, operational reliability and customer outcomes
In this specific role, you would be required to fully understand the problems the area tries to solve, the logics and data sources currently used to inform decisions, and from that foundation, to design, develop and maintain tools that can add speed, quality and consistency to those decisions. It is also expected for you to manage the prioritisation of requests from internal customers and to pre-empt and recommend enhanced logics when appropriate. Moreover, as a transversal position, it is expected that the role combines the learnings from the different ways the sub-teams solve the problems to ensure consistency and efficiencies in the systems and tools. Finally, the role requires deep interaction with IT and data science teams across the organisation to ensure developments fit well within company’s data architecture and to bolster lateral thinking and learning.
Key accountabilities will include:
- Develop tools to enhance speed and/or quality of decisions, according with team needs and own expertise in terms of logic enhancement
- Update list of software/dashboard developments and mange prioritisation table with team leadership
- Lead systems and tools’ strategy agenda for Networks and Scheduling
- Analyze, identify and describe relationships and patterns in data to help enhance and automate decision making
- Develop new automated dashboards (PowerBI or other appropriate tool)
- Maintain existing and new automated dashboards (PowerBI or other appropriate tool)
- Ensure the tools are as low maintenance as possible, with automation behind and recommend when is appropriate for IT to takeover / support
- Fully understand the latest in company’s data science developments and find connections that could help Network & Scheduling’s decision making and its tools
- Establish the systems and tools’ support approach, balancing the need to minimise the risk for the business in case of failure of tools and also the need to reduce time spent on admin/support tasks
- Ensure the tools have the ability to grow into each other and progressively solve for bigger and more interrelated problems, bringing down organisation silos in the commercial/operational planning process
- Proactively research around latest advanced analytics techniques that can best help solving the areas’ problems
- Regularly be embedded into the team’s decision-making forums to fully understand how decisions are made, the logics that support those decisions and understand the differences between different teams. The tools should aim at standardisation but providing for nuances where appropriate.
To be successful in this role you will demonstrate the following skills & experience:
- Proven ability to interact with multiple sources of data, build complex quantitative connections and extract relevant insights to inform hypothesis and recommendations
- Practical approach
- Capability to drive an agenda and proactively seek the next frontier
- Proven ability to create software-tools (in python or alike). Front end development nice to have, but not necessary
- Capability of effectively working in a dynamic business with evolving challenges and priorities
- Ability to work diplomatically across cultures with local and international based stakeholders
- Ability to communicate effectively and get to the core quickly
- Capable to find a balance between marginal continuous improvement and disruptive change, when required
- Proven ability to also consider diverse qualitative and strategic inputs to make top quality decisions
- Tertiary degree (or equivalent experience) in a highly analytical discipline (e.g. statistics, mathematics, physics, computer science, engineering)
- Demonstrable experience with SQL and understanding relational databases
- Applications will only be considered from candidates who have the right to work in Australia / New Zealand without restriction or sponsorship
You will be able to demonstrate very strong analysis skills, and computer competency. You will thrive working in a compliance environment and can deliver results while managing competing priorities. Your outstanding communication, problem solving, and relationship building skills, coupled with your ability to create solutions/ continuous improvement mindset, will see you succeed in this role.
The Jetstar Group has airlines in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and Japan. Since launch in 2004, we have grown from a team of 700 to 7,600 and have flown more than 200 million passengers. Collectively we now offer more than 4,200 flights a week to more than 80 destinations in 17 countries and territories across the Asia Pacific region, with a fleet of more than 120 aircraft.
Jetstar is alive with a sense of adventure. Day in and day out, our teams search for new places to fly, new ways to add value and new ideas to improve performance. If you love the road less travelled, you’ll love working here because ours is a team who innovate every day, thrive on delivery, support each other and celebrate our successes. You’ll be supported to challenge, anticipate and explore while you work will connect people and enrich lives. We encourage diversity and aim to create an environment where our employees feel valued, respected and enabled.
Team members have access to heavily discounted fares to destinations all over the world – not only for team members, but for their favourite travel companions too. Our staff travel benefit includes discounts on airfares, accommodation, car hire and travel insurance for both domestic and international travel. Discounts can be used within the Jetstar Group airlines, Qantas and other partner airlines.
Applications close 3rd September 2021
Strategy/Planning, Analyst, and Information Technology