Project Senior Consultant
The Senior Project Manager is responsible for the overall management of a complex Project throughout its lifecycle.
The Senior Project Manager has the relevant qualifications and business acumen to manage medium to large scale, high risk, strategic projects that span organizational boundaries including multiple business units and service partners/vendors.
The Senior Project Manager has a key role during the Bid Phase of the customer engagement focusing on shaping the overall delivery approach. Particular focus will be given to delivery methodology, governance, project structure, organization, scoping, estimation and risk assessment. The Senior Project Manager has the communication skills to present an effective delivery approach during proposal reviews in front of the Customer.
The Senior Project Manager provides leadership to the overall team structure responsible for delivering the Project. The Senior Project Manager understands the required alignment between the Company’s and the Customer’s business objectives, steering the Project activities accordingly. The Senior Project Manager is responsible to ensure that all Project activities are performed in accordance to SAP Methodology, Quality Standards, Reporting and Governance frameworks.
The Senior Project Manager provides mentoring to the Project Managers and Project Team resources, defines individual objectives and priorities, evaluates performances and facilitates success.
The Senior Project Manager maintains a clear vision of the Project and the surrounding business environment He (she) anticipates course of action to proactively manage operational and Business risks and align with DBS Business leaders. The Senior Project Manager performs Project Reviews and reinforces the enterprise knowledge management through the communication of lessons learned and best practices development, and through active contribution to Regional Communities and Practices.
The Senior Project Manager is a highly effective communicator leads by example. The Senior Project Manager establishes trusted Advisor relationships with Project Executives Sponsors and Stakeholders and is recognized as a driving force in the Project Steering Boards and key project meetings.
The Senior Project Manager can lead complex Projects or smaller Programs that require coordination of work between various internal and/or external parties. The Project contractual T&Cs, financial scale, number of involved parties and consultants, risk level, multi-geographical deployment environment are typical parameters used to categorize a Project and will be used to determine the level of seniority that the Senior Project Manager needs to demonstrate.
Key Areas of Responsibility and Tasks
The key Area of Responsibilities of a Senior Project Manager across the Project Life Cycle include:
Before Project Kick-off (inception)
- During the Sales cycle:
- Contribute to the Project structuring and solutioning reviews, assist with definition of the Project scope, schedule, resourcing and risk assessment.
- Contribute to the evaluation of Customer culture and maturity, for adapting the delivery approach and the proposed Project structure. Ensure appropriate methodologies are incorporated.
- Align the project proposal with SAP DBS strategy (e.g. via leveraging SAP accelerators and other investments).
- Contribute to Project Proposal Reviews conducted by the Customer, and advocate convincingly the Project Delivery choices and plan.
- From Sales closure to Project formal Kick-off:
- Facilitate a comprehensive Sales-to-Delivery transition.
- Start building trustful relationship with Customer & Partner stakeholders. Work with Project Managers and Resource Managers to define the Project team structure, and interview candidates for key roles. Review SoWs for 3rd Parties and sub-contracting entities. Optimize the use of nearshore and offshore delivery by SAP and its partners to achieve cost advantages for the client and for SAP.
- Ensure a safe and effective working environment is established with appropriate logistics & infrastructure.
- Ensure governance is effectively implemented, relevant standards and project systems are in place to manage the Project in an effective and efficient way. Establish meetings cadence and agendas. Setup the escalation process.
- Prepare the Project kick-off meeting, and actively contribute to the event. Take accountability for the definition of the Project success including its expected business outcomes; validate they are mutually agreed between SAP and the Customer, at Executive Management and at Project Teams levels.
- Develop key strategy documents (such as Data Migration Strategy; Test Strategy, Cut-over and Deployment Strategy), and create alignment with the customer on them.
During Project Execution (Planning / Executing / Monitoring and Controlling):
- Ensure effective execution of Project Management activities (planning, monitoring and controlling), including:
- Project planning: WBS, deliverables, dependencies, owners, due dates, links to other related plans (e.g. Deployment Plan, Testing Plan, Development Plan).
- Project resource planning and management.
- Project financial planning and management, ensuring a complete and accurate view is available on request, covering actual data from start to date, and forecast date until Project completion.
- Scope management covering full scope definition against the original Statement of Work (or initial Project scope), incorporating the Project Change Management Process records.
- Manage RAID (Risks, Assumptions, Issues, Dependencies) log/processes and conduct regular RAID Review meetings, documenting decisions, actions and outcomes.
- Manage the Project deliverable reviews and approval processes, within stated contractual timeline; recording of Minutes of reviews and related approvals.
- Work closely with the Project Sponsors and Project Review Boards to facilitate timely decisions necessary for Project delivery.
- Manage escalations and take accountability for the de-escalation process, coordinating recovery activities, negotiations and stakeholders engagement as necessary; seek for support (esp. RDE) when needed.
- Governance & Reporting (internal): Review and share outcomes of regular updates internally to DBS
- In compliance with regular tools and cadence (e.g. PtD, Delivery Portfolio, Account and Market Unit Reviews).
- In compliance with Project requirements as defined in communications plan and standards.
- Internal escalation: leverage internal governance and seek guidance and support from Management (within Delivery Function and/or Territory/LoB leads) in due time, ahead of issues materializing.
- Interface with internal functions (PMO, Controlling, GRC, MCC, etc.) to ensure visibility and transparency of Project progress and results.
- Governance and Reporting (Customer):
- Prepare and submit Project progress reporting to the Customer as input to governance. Build trusting and efficient working relationship with Customer stakeholders, including Executive Sponsors.
- Ensure governance forums are operationalized and recorded as per governance model, including Project Management meetings, Steering Committee meetings.
- Project team and Quality management:
- Manages the Project Team (virtual and onsite) ensuring all team members are:
- Aligned on the use of Project tools, methodology, and are in line with Project objectives
- Clear and adequately trained on their own responsibilities and deliverables
- Clearly understand and can articulate the value the Customer is seeking to achieve
- Provides feedback to Project team Members’ respective 1st line Managers, imparting fair and constructive performance evaluations and input to development plans. Provide direct coaching feedback to the Project Team members, when appropriate.
- Ensure quality plans and processes are in place and adhered to, ‘quality built-in’ principles along with appropriate scheduled reviews.
- Coordinate and effectively communicate with other SAP and Customer stakeholders and Project team members (e.g. Virtual Account Team, Customer Business and Program Managers, Account Executives, SSPs, Sales, Architects, Cloud LoBs) to ensure consistent alignment with broader account plans and business strategy. Work towards achieving strong Customer’s C-level relationships at strategic accounts and becoming a trusted advisor.
At Project Milestones And Project Closure
- On delivery of Project milestones and on completion of the Project, ensure timely appropriate Customer sign-off is achieved, particularly on Contractual Deliverables as stated in the SoW.
- Ensure lessons learnt are captured and feedback provided to appropriate stakeholders.
- Ensure knowledge transfer to the subsequent owner in life cycle has occurred to support efficient operations (e.g. AMS, Production Support, Run/Operational Teams)
Celebrate Project success with teams, using SAP Awards practices, internal communication to the region and to the team leadership.
At Month-End Closure
- Ensure accurate Project snapshot and reporting for Month-End closing, using the tools deployed by the region or territory Delivery Management (PME / PtD / PMI).
- Analyze Variances (Revenue, Cost, Margin, Project-start to Date (PTD), Year to Date (YTD)).
- Forecast Revenue and Cost for Project months to complete (Estimated to Complete (ETC), Estimated at Completion (EAC)).
- Prepare and conduct monthly Project reporting at MU level, covering delivery and financial status.
On a Continuous Basis
- Maintain awareness of the DBS strategy in terms of transformation initiatives, methodology, tools, delivery strategy and promote the understanding and adoption within the Project or Program. Lead by example, coach Team Leads and other team members.
- Maintain up-to-date records of mandatory training.
- Maintain awareness of certification related literature, such as the Project Management Body Of Knowledge (PMBOK), driven by the Project Manager Institute (PMI).
- Contribute actively to the DBS Community/Practice of Project Management (at least regionally) to leverage best practices, share lessons from Projects, and contribute to developing the Project Manager function. Participate in the development of Project management best practices, examples, templates and SAP’s Project Management Methodology.
- Maintain a comprehensive understanding of SAP solutions and of the DBS business processes and functions.
Experience & Language Requirements
- 5 – 7 years of project management experience in medium to large scale, high risk, or strategic projects.
- 3 – 5 years of supervisory or coaching experience in teambuilding and leading teams.
- Demonstrated experience leading cross functional teams within a formalized methodology.
- Demonstrated expertise in creating and maintaining project deliverables such as, project charter, project management plan, status reports, project timesheets, communications plan, budget and schedule.
- Demonstrated experience in managing issues, scope and quality while bring projects to successful completion within the cost and time requirements.
- Some international implementation experience is desirable.
Management And Leadership Experience
- Management experience in managing medium size teams
- Management experience of medium to large size and multilayered teams is desirable
- Management of remote resources (global delivery or distributed organization)
- P&L of LoB in medium to large organization is desirable
- Experience in managing project P&L in cross-LoB delivery of SAP engagement
- Cultural awareness and experience working across different cultures and nationalities
- Strong leadership and people management skills are desirable
- Leading in matrix organization and without formal authority a plus
- Required undergraduate university degree, preferably in commerce, engineering, information technologies or equivalent training and job experience.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in commerce, engineering, information technologies or MBA an asset
Professional Training & Certification
- PMP certification and /or other industry and project management certifications
- PM Fundamentals class certification or similar
- Project Leadership Excellence (PLEX), Excellence in Delivery Management (EDM) or similar interpersonal skills course
- Understanding of SAP Solution Manager
- Project Management Tools (PEM, PtD, etc.)
- SAP S/4HANA Training Programs – including management of digital transformation projects, management of projects with Premium Engagement, Enterprise Support, Custom Development, System Landscape Optimization, Cloud (SaaS), HANA Enterprise Cloud and internet of things projects
- SAP Activate Certification C_ACT_2016 SAP Activate Project Manager
- Please note we will prioritise applications of those currently residing in New Zealand Wellington given restricted visa availability and travel related to Covid-19.
We are SAP
SAP innovations help more than 400,000 customers worldwide work together more efficiently and use business insight more effectively. Originally known for leadership in enterprise resource planning (ERP) software, SAP has evolved to become a market leader in end-to-end business application software and related services for database, analytics, intelligent technologies, and experience management. As a cloud company with 200 million users and more than 100,000 employees worldwide, we are purpose-driven and future-focused, with a highly collaborative team ethic and commitment to personal development. Whether connecting global industries, people, or platforms, we help ensure every challenge gets the solution it deserves. At SAP, we build breakthroughs, together.
Our inclusion promise
SAP’s culture of inclusion, focus on health and well-being, and flexible working models help ensure that everyone – regardless of background – feels included and can run at their best. At SAP, we believe we are made stronger by the unique capabilities and qualities that each person brings to our company, and we invest in our employees to inspire confidence and help everyone realize their full potential. We ultimately believe in unleashing all talent and creating a better and more equitable world.
SAP is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to the values of Equal Employment Opportunity and provide accessibility accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with SAP and are in need of accommodation or special assistance to navigate our website or to complete your application, please send an e-mail with your request to Recruiting Operations Team: Americas: [email protected] or [email protected], APJ: [email protected], EMEA: [email protected]
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability
Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their age, race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, age, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, et al), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, protected veteran status, or disability.
Successful candidates might be required to undergo a background verification with an external vendor.
Requisition ID:301431 | Work Area: Consulting and Professional Services | Expected Travel: 0 – 20% | Career Status: Professional | Employment Type: Regular Full Time | Additional Locations:
Computer Software, Information Technology and Services, and Management Consulting