Principal Traffic Engineer
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency
- Provide technical leadership, support and oversight to the various activities involved in real-time land transport network operation.
- Make an impact to New Zealand road journeys
- Location: Smales Farm, Auckland
Te Whiwhinga mahi | The opportunity
If you have got a solid experience in Transport Network Planning and have the knack for Transport Network Operation, we have an exciting opportunity waiting for you!
At the Auckland Transport Operation Centre (ATOC), we operate the network in real-time which means that a lot of planning needs to happen in advance, so the real-time operation goes on smoothly. It involves identifying key risks arising from the land-use changes due to a planned or unplanned event and managing them to minimise or eliminate the impact to customer journeys. In your role as the Principal Traffic Engineer, this will be one of the key areas of focus for you. Apart from that you will also be heavily involved in the various aspects of signalised intersection designs and optimisation.
This is a very influential role that helps to achieve customer outcomes through effective stakeholder management, demonstrating thought and action leadership, and by continuously improving ATOC’s engineering design and optimisation practices. The role also has a very significant part to play in the growth and development of our workforce.
This position does not have any direct reports from a people management perspective. As part of the Optimisation Delivery Leadership Team and the wider ATOC leadership team, the role offers very exciting personal and professional growth opportunities.
Check out the position description to know more about the role.
Ko koe tēnei | About you
To Be Successful In This Role, You Will Bring
- 10+ Years of experience in different disciplines of Land Transport Engineering
- Demonstrable expertise in using traffic engineering applications and software
- Strong engineering sense and a simple approach in solving complex technical problems
- Experience in developing a technical team within the transport sector is desirable
- Excellent understanding of the legislative environment regarding traffic operations
- An understanding and appreciation of the workings and functions of local government, including current and future business drivers and statutory requirements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and ability to effectively collaborate with others
- Strong achievement/delivery focus – sets high standards including accuracy and attention to detail, meets deadlines etc.
- Ability to mentor and coach others to develop skills
- A relevant tertiary qualification (BE, NZCE) with relevant post graduate studies
- Chartered Professional Engineer (CPEng) and professional membership/s of Professional Engineers Association/s would be advantageous
You will demonstrate knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an understanding of Te Ao Māori and promote tikanga and Te Reo Māori. You will also have knowledge of, or a willingness to gain an appreciation of te Tiriti o Waitangi (the Treaty of Waitangi) as it applies in the public sector.
Ko wai mātou | About us
At Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency, it all starts with our people. The organisation’s performance and success depends on the people who choose to make this a great place to work and make a difference for Aotearoa. Waka Kotahi has a strong future focus, understanding that new technologies and changing customer expectations mean the transport system we know today will not be the one we deliver in ten years time.
The Transport Services Group plans, designs, builds, operates and maintains an integrated transport system. The Transport Operations Centre teams keep the transport system operational and optimised to meet the needs of all New Zealanders.
Along with our other benefits we also have new Waka Kotahi Life, Income Protection and Critical Illness Insurance scheme available for permanent employees.
Rā Katinga | Applications close : Sunday, 3 October 2021
Please note that we may begin shortlisting as we receive applications. We encourage early applications as we may withdraw the advertising at any time
For a copy of the position description: www.nzta.govt.nz/careers
Benefits of working at Waka Kotahi
For further information, email: [email protected]
To be considered for this position you must have a legal right to live and work in New Zealand.
Waka Kotahi is an equal opportunity employer (EOE). At the Agency we recognise the importance of diversity and inclusion and are committed to providing a working environment that embraces these values. Please let us know if you need any support or have any access requirements that will help you through the recruitment process.
Management and Manufacturing
Information Technology and Services, Government Administration, and Financial Services