WHO ARE WE?
Vestwell believes that all Americans should have easy access to a retirement account, which is why we’ve created a digital platform that makes it simpler to offer and administer 401(k) plans. We have built a digital-first platform designed to reset the bar to power a $30T industry.
Our focus is to build the most flexible, powerful workplace savings and investment platform, delivered through the hands and minds of our financial services partners with the help of payroll providers. We make the hard stuff look easy, by combining the expertise of financial advice with the sophistication of a technology provider.
As a result, financial advisors get to provide the advice and solution that employers and employees have been asking for, while growing and scaling along the way. Employers get a cost-effective solution design for their needs without the headache, and employees get a user-friendly portal that helps them achieve their long-term saving goals.
With backing from leading Fin-Tech investors, as well as a growing team of dedicated professionals of strong industry pedigree, Vestwell is at the forefront of a much-needed change in a 40-yr old industry. Our team believes in the mission we’ve set out to achieve and we’re working hard to get there. We’re ambitious, honest, thoughtful, and fun.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
We are seeking an entrepreneurial, detail-oriented, and collaborative Paralegal to join our Legal and Compliance team. This person will be responsible for assisting and helping the General Counsel and Chief Compliance Officer in a variety of tasks including gathering, organizing, and preparing legal documents, managing our vendor vetting process, and managing any escalations through our Risk Committee.
The ideal candidate will have experience managing the different stakeholders involved in contract negotiations, risk management, compliance, and a variety of other legal matters that may come up. The role requires managing lots of complexity and nuance to ensure efficient and accurate operational processes in a high volume environment.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Ensure all internal Vendor Managers have completed the Vendor Risk Assessment for all company vendors annually.
- Maintain and distribute the most updated versions of all Vendor Due Diligence documents to all Vestwellers, both for initial onboarding and annual reviewCreate an ongoing inventory of all vendor contracts, track key data points (eg: limits of liability, expiration dates, termination provisions)
- Work with our Finance Department and Risk Committee to confirm that all initial vendor onboarding and risk assessments are complete; conduct follow up as needed
- Keep Plan Services Agreement and appendices templates updated; make sure the Sales Team uses the correct versions of all templates
- Update our contract templates to align with changes in internal operational procedures and review with leaders of Operations Team, Compliance Team, Client Services, and other internal stakeholders
- Update templates for exclusive provider, preferred provider, and referral agreements to align with changing regulatory requirements and operational procedures
- Coordinate annual review of security and compliance policies with relevant internal stakeholders and documents for auditor review
- Take ownership of the SOC controls and coordinate with the CTO, CISO and other business unit leaders that all process documentation is reviewed and updated on an annual basis
Work with Vestwell’s Risk Committee
- Schedule, attend, and take minutes for all meetings and follow up on action items through completion
- Keep the Vestwell Risk Register updated with all identified risks and mitigation controls. Follow up with any employee appointed to manage a particular risk area to confirm completion and document Risk Register accordingly
- Confirm that all new employees completed required new hire training and submitted required paperwork and follow up with employees as needed
- Coordinate with General Counsel annually to review and update policies in the Compliance Manual and Employee Handbook .
- Schedule, attend, and take minutes for all Oversight Committee meetings and follow up on any action items through completion
- Confirm that employees attend and certify attendance at annual mandatory training sessions
- Maintain BasisCode trading portal for employee brokerage account information and coordinate data feed agreements with financial services providers
- Confirm that all employees acknowledge receipt of Compliance Manual and Employee Handbook on an annual basis
- Follow up with employees with FINRA license credentials and update/file U4 forms accordingly
- 3+ years as a Paralegal, preferably with experience working in an SEC-regulated operational function or employee benefits field
- Excellent communication skills across internal stakeholders and demanding external partner groups
- Highly detail-oriented, with familiarity with project management tools (We currently use Asana!)
- Strong business acumen and organizational agility
- Ability to quickly grasp new concepts across a wide variety of technologies and domains
- An ability to connect the dots, move from big picture to the details fluidly, and communicate effectively at each level
- Proven ability to influence without authority up, down, and across an organization
- Maintain a continuous-improvement attitude; able to seek out and implement internal or external best practices, to problem-solve in ambiguous situations, and to thoughtfully earn trust
- Collaborative team player who is also an independent thinker
- Exceptionally driven with a insatiable curiosity for business improvement
- Previous experience with retirement plans, familiarity with ERISA and/or Internal Revenue Code, or B2B enterprise SaaS company
We’re a growth stage startup with lots of exciting milestones ahead. We value health and wellness at Vestwell and, as such, offer competitive health coverage and an open vacation policy. We also have a bright, comfortable office with lots of workspace options in midtown Manhattan so you can be as productive as possible, and we hope to be back there once we’ve beaten this virus. In the meantime, we provide the team with all the equipment they need (plus a few perks) to work effectively remotely. Oh, and naturally we have a great 401(k) plan!
Legal and Research
Financial Services, Computer Software, and Investment Management