Malawi Country Co-ordinator
The Finmark Trust seeks applications for the part time position of Malawi Country Co-ordinator. The Co-ordinator will implement, manage, and champion FinMark Trust’s projects and relationships in Malawi.
Champion effective implementation of FinMark Trust’s SADC Financial Inclusion programme in Malawi. The incumbent is required to support the Head: SADC Financial Inclusion to effectively implement FinMark Trust’s SADC programme on financial inclusion and economic inclusivity in the Southern Africa Region. The programme’s outcome is a positive impact on the lives of the poor through understanding the needs of consumers and SMME’s and the link between the real economy and financial inclusion. The incumbent will also be responsible for leading and overseeing fundraising functions for FinMark Trust’s activities in Malawi as well as supporting FMT’s regional financial inclusion initiatives.
CONTRACT: Fixed term contract
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Build and maintain sound relationships with direct, indirect and external representatives within Malawi
- Support projects and the in-country coordination of the Trust’s projects in Malawi
- Identify and develop relevant proposals for opportunities to extend financial and economic inclusion in Malawi
- Collect data relevant to the Trust’s programmes and areas of priority within Malawi
- Stay abreast on updates and changes in local and international development related to financial integration.
- Regularly provide updates on policies, regulations, country strategies and priorities relevant to the advancement of financial and economic inclusion in Malawi.
- Identify local partners where there are synergies for furtherance of financial and economic inclusion in Malawi.
- Arrange and facilitate meetings with ministers, political and other stakeholders on behalf of FMT’s theme/project coordinators and CEO.
- Contribute to concept notes and internal desktop research relevant to country level projects.
- Support the in-country implementation of projects according to inception report until final product is completed.
- Work closely with local service providers and partners to ensure timely delivery of quality project outputs
- Report on activities and project progress monthly.
- Attend local conferences, workshops and steering committee meetings on behalf of FinMark Trust
- Enhance recognition of FinMark Trust work and successes with Malawi.
- Internalise research and apply knowledge to bring government, regulatory and financial institutions together based on consultative skills and industry knowledge.
- Find ways to improve access, uptake and utilization of quality financial services and products for consumers and small and medium businesses in Malawi.
- Research and find ways to enable liberalisation of the financial sector which involves ways to removing restrictions and regulatory controls over financial institutions.
- Manage time and expense administration.
- Support and provide input into FMT’s regional financial inclusion initiatives.
- Prepare and report on budgets for Regional Financial Inclusion.
- Lead fundraising and secure funding for the organisation’s activities in Malawi
- Write funding and project proposals for the organisation’s activities in Malawi
- Develop country strategy for Malawi in collaboration with the Head: SADC Financial Inclusion
TECHNICAL COMPETENCIES REQUIRED
- Intricate familiarity and understanding of Malawi’s financial and economic inclusion landscape
- Technical skills in one or more of the following: Micro-economic issues, Payments, Credit Markets, AML/CTF, Financial Integrity, Remittances, Digital Finance, and (In)formal Cross Border Trade
- An understanding and commitment to the objectives of financial inclusion
- Strong stakeholder engagement and management skills. And a commitment to stakeholder-driven development solutions
- Technical skills to lead the conversation in themes identified as relevant in SADC FI programmes
- Technical skills to provide capacity building and support to stakeholders in Malawi in relevant themes identified in our programmes
- Ability to develop fundraising proposals and budgets, and raise funding.
- Project management skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Attention to detail
- Good Interpersonal skills
- Exceptional presentation skills
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE SHOULD AT LEAST HAVE:
- Strong stakeholder networks in government and the donor community specifically those relevant to financial inclusion in Malawi
- Experience in financial and/or economic inclusion in Malawi
- Minimum of Honours degree however a Master’s degree would be an advantage
- 5 – 10 years’ experience at an operation level within the fields of Financial Inclusion, Development, Project Management and Research.
• Capability to work productively with a remote team.
Please forward your curriculum vitae, covering letter explaining of how you meet the criteria for the position, and fee proposal for 80 hours per month to [email protected] Shortlisted applicants will be required to deliver a presentation during their interview.
Please include “Malawi Country Coordinator” in the subject line. Closing Date: 17 September 2021.