Knowledge Management and Communications Specialist, Uganda ICAN
The overall objective of the project is to sustainably enhance the resilience of vulnerable households in its area of operation by maximizing economic opportunities for vulnerable households, stabilizing their access to and consumption of diverse and nutritious diets and increase social capital by reinforcing relationships among formal governance systems and communities.
The Knowledge Management and Communications Specialist is responsible for overseeing implementation of the project’s Branding and Marketing Plan and designing and implementing ICAN’s knowledge management and communications action plan. He/she coordinates production, supervises execution and undertakes quality control of ICAN reports including Activity deliverables such as quarterly and annual reports, technical notes, Power Point presentations and social media posts. The candidate will conduct practical, on-the-job training of ICAN staff and Implementing Partners (IPs) in contributing to the above products, preparing success stories and other products showcasing ICAN accomplishments. The candidate stores, manages and ensures access by staff to the Activity’s knowledge and learning materials.
Key Roles And Responsibilities
The candidate is expected to possess initiative and be able to perform the functions of the position in a fast-paced environment under minimal supervision, while engaging in systematic consultation with technical and senior management staff. He/she will provide training and technical supervision to less experienced staff in written and oral presentation skills.
Specifics Duties Include
- Using independent judgment, discretion and assessment of needs, provide design and leadership in implementing ICAN’s Banding and Marketing Plan and develop an action plan for its implementation on a yearly basis.
- Strategize with Abt’s home office to adapt the action plan to changing circumstances during implementation.
- Through periodic seminars and regular on-the-job training, provide technical assistance to ICAN staff and partners in preparing contributions for ICAN deliverables, narrating success stories and drafting technical briefs for internal and external publication. Ensure consistent and coherent corporate and editorial style across all outputs including media and audiovisual material, publications, documentation and internal materials.
- Develop tools and provide guidance, facilitation, content management to support knowledge management (KM) practices within ICAN and its partners.
- Support the project’s technical, cross-cutting, and operations teams to ensure efficient planning and implementation of communications activities, including quarterly reports, annual reports and other communications products required by the client.
- Create and disseminate appropriate communication products via relevant channels. This may include traditional media, new media, video and photographs, on-ground and public relations. Ensure key messages are delivered to the relevant target audience in a consistent manner across all channels.
- Develop weekly bullets summarizing activity progress, challenges, successes, and learning.
- With field office staff and home office project team, coordinate production of, format, and edit monthly, quarterly and annual reports, technical notes, Power Point presentation for different audiences.
- Champion innovative and nimble methods to drive communications.
- Other duties as required.
The candidate is expected to possess initiative and be able to perform the functions of the position in a fast-paced environment under minimal supervision, while engaging in systematic consultation with technical staff. He/she will provide training and technical supervision to less experienced staff in written and oral presentation skills. Specifically, the ideal candidate should:
- Hold a Master’s degree and 6-8 years of experience, or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Have prior experience working on donor funded projects, preferably with USAID.
- Possess strong knowledge of management and communication skills.
- Display excellence in verbal and technical writing communication in English.
- Show strong creative and analytical skills and good management and strategic judgment.
- Demonstrate leadership and ability to work closely with peers.
- Have the ability to remain organized and focused on long-term vision and strategy.
- Possess a good understanding of media planning and have experience working on digital communications.
- Possess excellent Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills
Bachelor’s Degree + Twelve years of relevant experience, or Master’s Degree + Ten years of relevant experience, or PhD+ Eight years of relevant experience
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Consulting, Information Technology, and Sales
Nonprofit Organization Management, Management Consulting, and Financial Services