Junior to Senior Python Grid Developer
QuantRes is a small, 31 year old highly successful hedge fund that invests in the global futures and foreign exchange markets. Everything we do is based on quantitative data driven decision making using our proprietary leading edge (using Machine Learning for example) technology.
We are currently searching for a Python Grid Developer for our Research Team. This is a fully remote role (our preference is for US based EST/CST or Western European time zones) with trips once or twice a year to the Bahamas corporate office. This person will be a key contributor designing and developing in Python (And occasionally C++/C#) our model-building grid (which our Research Team uses to decide what the fund will invest in) and the associated AWS/cloud-based component of the grid. We are looking for someone with excellent communication skills who can get involved in architecture decisions and quickly bring new models and machine learning techniques from prototype to production. While we aren’t specifically requiring experience with Machine Learning, we would like someone with a strong math or statistics background.
Job Description: Grid/Quantitative Developer
The Grid Developer is responsible for the development and maintenance of our internal machine-learning pipeline and its AWS/cloud-based computational grid. This role includes new development as well as maintenance of existing code and will include opportunities to contribute to software architecture decisions. This role reports directly to the Research Business Unit Manager and will involve close collaboration with other Research software developers as well as Quantitative Researchers. Success in this role will involve ongoing improvements to the stability and performance of the grid, understanding of data flow and optimization of grid services, ability to quickly bring new machine learning techniques from prototype to production, and the ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment.
● Develop and maintain software in Python (with C++ a big plus) (and possibly occasionally C#.NET)
● Ownership of the distributed computing environment’s CI pipeline and deployment of grid applications.
● Collaboration with researchers to take prototype research code to the production environment.
● Performing code reviews and pair programming with other members of the Research team.
● Active contribution in Research development meetings.
● Maintaining up-to-date documentation of the grid and its components.
Minimum Level of Education: Bachelors Degree
Type of Education Needed: Computer Science or related field.
Minimum Level of Experience: 1 year
Type of Experience Needed:
Python (& ideally C++) development role or similar position. AWS experience is a plus.
● Bachelor’s degree in computer science (or similar)
● Minimum of five years of practical Python development experience in a similar position.
● Strong experience with complex algorithms and PyData stack (NumPy, pandas, etc.)
● Experience with distributed computing (cloud is a plus)
● Experience with at least one medium to large “green-field” development project
● Demonstrated creative and explorative analytic problem-solving capabilities in complex environments.
● Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English that facilitate strong team engagement.
● Solid interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with both technical and non-technical business partners
● Results-oriented and driven to deliver working solutions with a continuous improvement mindset.
● Strong attention to detail with solid organizational skills.
- Mathematical/statistical background, Machine Learning is a strong plus
- Experience with AWS cloud computing and performance tuning
- Knowledge of Agile software development methods
- Reliable internet connection for remote work.
- Ability to attend virtual meetings in a quiet, distraction-free environment.
- Availability during regular Western European work hours. Eastern North/South American work hours are also acceptable provided there is the flexibility to overlap with European researchers.
- Flexibility and responsiveness when dealing with issues outside of normal working hours.
Venture Capital & Private Equity