Head – Treasury Markets
Standard Chartered Bank
We are a leading international bank focused on helping people and companies prosper across Asia, Africa and the Middle East.
To us, good performance is about much more than turning a profit. It’s about showing how you embody our valued behaviours – do the right thing, better together and never settle – as well as our brand promise, Here for good.
We’re committed to promoting equality in the workplace and creating an inclusive and flexible culture – one where everyone can realise their full potential and make a positive contribution to our organisation. This in turn helps us to provide better support to our broad client base.
To lead the Treasury Markets Desk in the implementation of its strategy for optimum management of the country’s Balance Sheet and liquidity, as well as price risk mismatches, assuming also overall responsibility for Money Market activities, including:
- The day-to-day and intraday prudent management of the liquidity position in the country, including the day-to-day compliance with Group Policies and Guidelines, Local Regulatory requirements, local payment system and intraday liquidity requirements.
- The maintenance of the bank’s presence in the inter-bank market to aid funding and investment activities.
- The management of both revenue and cost budgets
This role entails managing multiple Treasury risks including liquidity risk, market access risk, maturity concentration risk and interest rate risk across of the Bank.
- To draft, defend and implement the Treasury-Markets Botswana strategy as part of the SCB Botswana Country strategy as well as implementing the same as well as other assignments as decided by country ALCO.
- Ensure Statutory (both FSA and local regulations) Liquidity requirements and internal Group Limits are adhered to.
- Propose, negotiate and regularly advise on the Funds Transfer Pricing Policy for the Bank, in a consistent manner and in compliance with the Group policies, taking into account local market dynamics.
- Support ALCO in decisions relating to Capital requirements and management, proposing investment strategies, and market research.
- Show creativity when proposing solutions to specific funding problems, engineering solutions and ‘thinking outside of the box’.
- Prove ability in managing change, especially when imposed by the external environment (regulatory).
- Has authority to commit the bank for the sale and purchase of Fixed Income securities / IRD products
- Authority as per the approved dealing mandate to operate under approved Country limits. Drive the Botswana Rates and Credit business plan.
- Monitoring and managing the Bank’s investment portfolio including Government securities, Bills re-discounted, Repos/Reverse Repos, Interbank placements, foreign currency placements etc by investing at most profitable rate ensuring proper management of liquidity and interest rate risk as well as strictly monitoring both counter-party and trading limits. Complete transaction records, Interest income/expenses etc., reconcile to Treasury Operations records, and report on achievements and outstanding issues at required frequencies, as appropriate on the product traded.
- To guide and advise ALCO on the market liquidity situation, interest rate movements and any other issues pertaining to balance sheet management that would be considered important for ALCO to make informed decisions on liquidity and interest rate risk.
- Ensure that all lending and investment decisions are made within GMR and Credit limits
- Ensure that all compliance and Local regulatory requirements are met and reported as appropriate.
- Managing interest rate mismatch and risk positions to maximize returns.
- Source low cost funding.
- Manage operating costs
- Enhance Bank’s name as one of the major players in the primary as well as secondary trading of Fixed Income securities / IRD product
- To maintain Bank’s standing as one of the active Principal/Primary Dealers in the local bond market.Rates Submission
- Act as Rates Submitter as appropriate in line with the defined Rates Setting Principles and as authorised and detailed in the respective Dealer mandate.
- Support and develop the payment systems and ensure the Bank’s liquidity supports the capability of meeting customer payment needs.
- Liaise with support services and the back office on behalf of the team, to maintain the provision of high quality services to traders
- Represent the Treasury Markets business in projects involving the implementation of major changes in the systems technology area.
- Observe controls in the Treasury-Markets Botswana processes for Trade Initiation, Execution & Capture.
- Observe the controls in the Treasury-Markets Botswana processes for Liquidity & Investment Management.
People and Talent
- Lead through example and build the appropriate culture and values. Set appropriate tone and expectations from their team and work in collaboration with risk and control partners.
- Establish and maintain good contact with the local Central Bank regulators as well as their dealers.
- Monitor regulatory and market developments, provide feedback on the market and the business to sales and the management.
- Providing funding support and competitive rates to trading and sales teams.
- Liquidity support to Group branches (London, Singapore, etc) in line with GALCO expectation
- Assist and coordinate with the other TM units in the region
- Assist in building compliance culture within the country by ensuring full compliance in TM.
- Identify, assess, monitor, control and mitigate risks to the Treasury-Markets Desk and Business Unit.
- Observe the set liquidity and price risk limits
- Regulatory & Business conduct. Observe the highest standards of regulatory and business conduct and compliance practices as defined by internal and external requirements. This includes compliance with local banking laws, other applicable laws (e.g. laws governing securities activities, company law) and anti-money laundering regulations and guidelines.
- Understand and comply with, in letter and spirit, all applicable laws and regulations, including those governing anti-money laundering, terrorist financing and sanctions; the Group’s policies and procedures; and the Group Code of Conduct. Effectively and collaboratively identify, escalate, mitigate and resolve risk and compliance matters. Embed the Group’s values and code of conduct to ensure that adherence with the highest standards of ethics, and compliance with relevant policies, processes and regulations.
- Head, Financial Markets & FM Sales Botswana
- Manager, FM Operations
- Country Head of Risk
- Market & Traded Credit Risk team
- Business Finance and the Product Control team
- FM Sales team
- Rates Trading team
- Business Technology
- Business segment heads
- Interbank Dealers
- Central Bank
- Bank Clients
- ACI Dealing Certificate is must/prerequisite for the ideal candidate.
- MBA / CFA with excellent conceptual and practical knowledge of financial markets.
- Ideally an experienced commercial banker with a thorough understanding of the operating environment dynamics, banking products and management structures of a large and successful commercial bank.
- Extensive Financial Markets and Risk Management knowledge, with thorough understanding of Fixed Income and Money Markets trading.
- Track record of profit generation and discipline in managing large market risk exposures.
- Strong interpersonal skills and high levels of maturity to manage interaction with different Business Units in the Bank especially in the matrix organization structure / Global lines of business.
- Strong analytical and communication skills to gain approval of Head FM, ALCO members and Group for complex strategies and funding solutions.
- Strong achievement orientations and an ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to articulate market views and translate into trading strategies.
Apply now to join the Bank for those with big career ambitions.
To view information on our benefits including our flexible working please visit our career pages. We welcome conversations on flexible working.
Gaborone, South-East, Botswana