General Accounting Manager
Through its world-class LTE and fibre networks, together with its suite of eight (8) apps spanning sports (SportsMax), music (D’Music), news (Loop), local radio and podcasts (GoLoud), TV streaming (PlayGo), enhanced messaging and marketplaces (BiP), cloud storage (Billo) and self-care (MyDigicel app), Digicel is the only operator in its markets that can deliver that.
Serving consumer and business customers in 32 markets in the Caribbean, Central America and Pacific, its investments of over US$7 billion and a commitment to its communities through its Digicel Foundations in Haiti, Jamaica, Papua New Guinea and Trinidad & Tobago have contributed to positive outcomes for over 3 million people to date.
With its Better Together brand, Digicel is making a promise of simply more to customers and communities and its 7,000 employees worldwide work together to make that a powerful reality day in, day out.
Visit www.digicelgroup.com for more.
Primary Objective Of The Job
- Manage the GL accounting team in distributing tasks and acting as point of escalation
- Interact with business partners on all levels to identify needs
- Ensure all process activities are performed on time and with necessary quality
- Continually improve the service offering of the GL accounting team by actively providing input on GL accounting activities and how they can support the business partner and business processes
- Oversee transactions, understand variances and proactively identify potential problems to streamline and improve productivity and accuracy of the processes
- Ensure process governance including regular reporting and analysis to key stakeholders
- Communicate with internal stakeholders on a regular basis to discuss operational issues, key metrics
- Respond to ad hoc requests for analytics
- Manage the financial accounting and reporting processes and analyse financial reports and general entries to understand operations and identify variances
- Support period end close activities in accordance with agreed close schedules
- Support compliance with accounting standards and control frameworks.
Process-specific Role Responsible For
Main Duties and Responsibilities:
- Approving journal entries/allocations;
- Reviewing general ledger reconciliations;
- Supporting in period end close processes;
- Reviewing preliminary Trial balances;
- Processing management adjustments;
- Performing key activities in the general ledger close;
- Reviewing internal control testing;
- Providing external audit support;
- Developing standard procedures and templates;
- Managing/implementing continuous improvement opportunities;
- Recording/reporting accounting transactions, managing P&L and BS accounts;
- Analysing and reconciling balances and period-end activities ;
- Performing revenue and cost accounting;
- Assisting in intercompany processing where required
Academic Qualifications And Experience Required
- Bachelor degree in Finance or Accounting, or any other related field
- Five- Seven (5-7) years relevant working experience
- Professional Accounting Qualification
- Previous demonstrable, relevant and progressive experience of general accounting and intercompany
- Strong, demonstrable knowledge of accounting principles and accounting standards (US GAAP / IFRS), as well as tax reporting
- Previous experience of managing direct reports, and supporting performance appraisal process
- Lean / Six Sigma exposure or equivalent desired
- Proficiency in using ERP systems and MS products, such as Excel and Word
- Ability to interact with leadership, key stakeholders, employees and suppliers in a professional manner.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
Functional Skills And Abilities
- Monitors processes and manages continuous improvement initiatives across the GL accounting team to help realize greater efficiencies
- Ability to interact with leadership, key stakeholders, employees and clients in a professional manner
- Highly qualified team with specialized skills and knowledge
- Financial acumen
- Clear written and verbal communication
This job description indicates the general nature and level of work expected of the incumbent. It is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities required of the incumbent. Incumbent may, and probably will be asked to perform other duties as required. Each employee, regardless of classification, is required to maintain a safe, orderly and clean workplace, using safety precautions and observing safety rules at all times.
Accounting/Auditing and Finance