At Swiss Re we combine experience with creative thinking and cutting-edge expertise to create new opportunities and solutions for our clients. This is possible thanks to the collaboration of more than 13,000 employees across the world.
We offer a flexible working environment where curious and adaptable people thrive. Are you interested in joining us?
About The Role
Swiss Re has established its P&C direct insurance subsidiary in South Africa with the aspiration to expand its commercial business in South Africa and Africa. This is an exciting time to join SRCSA as the company develops and builds up its capabilities. Integrated into a dynamic team, the SRCSA Finance Specialist will report into the SRCSA Chief Financial Officer and work with finance colleagues within the Swiss Re Group regionally and globally, as well as interacting with South African external stakeholders. There will be potential to develop and expand the role.
- Responsible for the preparation of the quarterly finance reports, and related commentary, for the purpose of the quarterly Board, Audit and Management Committee meetings
- Responsible for the preparation of monthly finance reports, and related commentary, for the purpose of the monthly Operational Team meetings
- Responsible for the monitoring of monthly operating expenses as compared to budget and reporting back to the CFO on a monthly basis
- Responsible for the preparation, in collaboration with EY, of the annual and quarterly quantitative reporting templates (QRT) for the Prudential Authority of the South African Reserve Bank; will be the primary liaison between EY and the Swiss Re Group for the extraction of financial and actuarial information in order for EY to calculate the required SRC and MCR coverage ratios
- Implementation of appropriate financial reporting processes, from source data to prescribed regulatory / statutory reporting templates, including relevant process documentation
- Responsible for the preparation of the annual IFRS compliant annual financial statements
- Support the CFO with the functioning of an adequate internal control environment
- Primary contact with the external auditors for the sign-off of the annual IFRS compliant annual financial statements and annual quantitative reporting templates (QRT)
- Support the CFO with the annual budgeting process
- Support the CFO with the transition to IFRS17 accounting standard together with the central Swiss Re IFRS17 project team
- Responsible for the review of VAT calculations, prepared by the Group VAT team, and the submission of VAT returns on e-filing
- Responsible for the preparation of annual income tax calculations, in collaboration with Group Tax, including provisional income tax calculations, and the submission of returns on e-filing
- Assist the Head of Operations with operational finance matters, including credit control
- Project support on an ad hoc basis
- Qualified / Chartered Accountant South Africa or equivalent qualification
- Strong expertise in South African accounting standards including IFRS and South African Reserve Bank Prudential Authority reporting requirements
- A minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience in South African insurance legal entity, with financial accounting and reporting experience
- Familiarity with the regulatory environment and prior exposure in dealing with external stakeholders a plus.
- Flexibility to work in both a collaborative team environment as well as independently
- Demonstrate high performance and personal accountability for area of responsibility
- Strong focus on improving the control environment and continuous improvement of processes
- Ability to work under tight deadlines and multiple stakeholders.
- Able to engage with both technical and commercial teams, locally and globally
- Agile, flexible, proactive, pragmatic approach to problem identification and solution
- ‘Tech savvy’ – the ability to embrace and harness systems, tools and technology to achieve goals
- Ability to deal with complexity and sometimes incomplete information within a changing environment
- Tenacious and results driven, highly energized and motivated to achieve perfection
- Self-motivated, working proactively using own initiative under limited direct supervision
- This is a role in an exciting team within CorSo, which would give the incumbent hands-on, broad and deep exposure to the business, locally, regionally and globally.
- You get to take a very exciting journey with a four-year-old start-up business, with the backing of one of the biggest players in reinsurance globally.
- This is an opportunity to support Corporate Solutions’ objectives as the commercial insurance arm of the Swiss Re Group.
- You get to work with high performing teams that strive for excellence daily.
- There would be exposure to the entire global group, allowing for opportunities to learn and grow.
Preference will be given to designated applicants as per the employment equity act.
Swiss Re is an equal opportunity employer. It is our practice to recruit, hire and promote without regard to, religion, sex, disability, age, pregnancy, sexual orientations, marital status, military status, or any other characteristic protected by law. Decisions on employment are solely based on an individual’s qualifications for the position being filled.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
Reference Code: 104986
Finance and Sales
Information Technology and Services, Insurance, and Financial Services