International Rescue Committee
Job Title: Enrolled Midwife
Employment Category: Regular
Employment Type: Full-Time
Open to Expatriates: No
Location: Bidibidi, Uganda
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst Humanitarian Crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving and life changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 supporting nationals, refugees and various institutions in the country notably the government, community based organizations, civil society and the private sector. The current program portfolio in Uganda includes health, peace building, gender based violence, economic recovery, agribusiness, children and youth. http://www.rescue.org/country/Uganda . IRC has a country office in Kampala, a regional office in Kitgum, Adjumani, Kiryandongo and Moroto. Given the recent conflict outbreak in South Sudan, IRC re-opened the Yumbe Field site office to support refugees being settled in Bidibidi refugee settlement in Yumbe District Imvepi refugee settlement in Arua District. As more refugees continued to arrive Imvepi got filled up, the government opened up Omugo – Rhino extension in Rhino Settlement with an estimated population of 43,000 to be settled across six sections of the settlement.
Scope of work
The enrolled midwife will be based in Yumbe and shall be responsible for providing health education talks to women and their partners in the reproductive health facility and in the community. She will provide Antenatal, delivery, post partum, post natal care, family planning services and shall maintained environment friendly working space hence adhering to infection control and prevention practices. She will provide HIV/AIDS services including but not limited to counseling, eMTCT, EID and HAART services.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Assess for reproductive health needs of adolescent girls and women of reproductive age group
- Provide counseling and health education before and after screening
- Provide the full antenatal care package including screening tests at the facility and during community outreaches
- identifying high risk pregnancies and organizing appropriate referrals
- Provide basic emergency obstetric and neonatal care, adolescent sexual and reproductive services including prevention and treatment of HIV and other STIs
- Provide information and linkage to elimination of mother to child transmission of HIV services
- Provide care during labour and puerperium with emphasis on prevention of infection and ensuring successful breastfeeding
- Participate in clinician ward rounds and provide bedside nursing care for admitted mothers
- Provide post-natal care services for mother and baby including immunization, growth monitoring, support for breast feeding and family planning
- Provide clinical care for survivors of Sexual and Gender based violence
- Prepare daily, monthly activity reports and audits for the different reproductive health services
- Adhere to the professional code of conduct and ethics
Key working relationships
Position Reports to:Registered Midwife in chargePosition directly supervises:None
Other Internal And/or External Contacts
Internal: WPE, community health, Protection, Supply chain and HR
External: MoH, UNHCR, UNFPA, District Health office, RMF, TPO
Professional Code Of Conduct
The IRC and IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in IRC Way – Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Deadline for receiving applications is September 8th,2021
- Must have enrolled midwifery certificate or equivalent
- Must be registered with the Nurses and Midwives council
- Relevant work experience of two years is essential.
- Be able to work in a stressful setting and adapt quickly to changing environments
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
Health Care Provider
Nonprofit Organization Management, Human Resources, and Financial Services