Engineering Director, Data & Data Science
Bestow Life Insurance
We ideate fast, embrace change, and take risks. As a rapidly growing tech startup, we look for the best talent out there and try to stay out of their way. From scaling our business model to expanding our offerings, the day-to-day at Bestow offers endless professional growth opportunities. The people who succeed here look for problems and solutions. They are both passionate about their ideas and open to having their mind changed.
In the end, we value the same things our customers do: family. So we strive for work-life balance and believe happy employees make for better experiences and happier customers. It’s a model that helped us land the #2 spot on Forbes’ Best Startup Employers 2021 list. Boom!
As a director, you will be responsible for three key areas
Bestow is seeking a Director of Data Science for our growing organization to lead our Data Science team.
- First and most important is the engagement and development of the managers and individual contributors on your team. You will ensure that they are set up for success and allowed to grow as individuals and their careers.
- Second, you will ensure your teams are staffed and organized to deliver quality data products predictably. You will help set business context and frame the purpose for your teams’ work.
- Finally, as a senior member of the engineering management team, you will identify and lead initiatives across the engineering organization.
Learn More About Us
Why AI makes life insurance decisions at this company
Bestow to Acquire Centurion Life Insurance Company
Bestow Lands $70M Series C To Expand Life Insurance Product
Open to Austin, TX, Dallas, TX or Remote (US)
Your Day To Day
- Work effectively with cross-functional partners and stakeholders to set and achieve optimal outcomes
- Passionate about solving technical and leadership challenges, organizing teams to deliver, and running an efficient process for produce high quality, high confidence deliverables
- Enjoy managing the team with multiple projects and balancing various needs and priorities
- Develop the data science roadmap for your team with input from underwriters, engineering, and product management
- You are passionate about building and mentoring high performing engineering teams
- Be an internal advocate for data science and look for opportunities where the application of data science and ML can be demonstrably advantageous or solves existing challenges
- Self-motivated and capable of working through ambiguity
- Measure the impact of your team and set clear expectations and goals
- Recruit and grow your teams with high-performing engineering talent that complements our engineering values; helps make Bestow a world-class engineering brand.
A Little About You
- 5+ years of engineering management experience, including as an indirect manger
- 10+ years of data science experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent self-study
- Proven track record of leading high performing teams, attracting and developing technical talent
- Well versed in modern SDLC methodologies such as Scrum and Kanban and aligned to the agile principles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and ability to communicate across all levels of the organization to technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience managing geographically distributed teams
- Actively communicate roadblocks or significant delays in estimated delivery
- Familiar with a variety of data science, machine learning, and artificial intelligence technologies
- History of success in delivering technology change, project execution, and delivery
- Exceptional troubleshooting skills and the ability to quickly assess complex technical issues
- Experienced with start-ups and maturing solutions for customer growth
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident (Bestow does not sponsor applicants for work visas at this time)
- Competitive salary plus stock options
- Performance bonus
- Generous PTO
- Flexible schedule and work/life balance
- 100% company-paid health, dental, and vision insurance
- Office snacks and weekly team lunches
- Team building events and activities
We value diversity at Bestow. We hire, recruit, and promote without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, pregnancy or maternity, veteran status, or any other status protected by applicable law. We understand the importance of creating a safe and comfortable work environment and encourage individualism and authenticity in every member of our team.
Bestow does not sponsor applicants for work visas at this time.
Engineering and Information Technology
Computer Software, Internet, and Financial Services