TEC HR Consulting
Our client, an International NGO wishes to recruit a Country Manager for its Malawi Office.
The Country Manager will be responsible for all aspects of Dispensers for Safe Water program implementation. S/he will refine and implement the program model, with a strong focus on evidence-based decision-making, cost-effectiveness, and the organization’s values. In summary, the holder of the position will ensure the delivery of a high-quality program in Malawi, including managing and coordinating with internal and external stakeholders (including health officers, government officials, and leaders of potential partner organizations).
The holder of the position will be a key member of the Africa Regional leadership team. S/he will therefore contribute to the setting of regional objectives and priorities. S/he will also ensure compliance with organization operational policies in Malawi.
This person will also provide leadership on potential future projects for the organization in Malawi.
Duties and responsibilities
▪ Lead program activities including field operations, research/evaluation, information systems, and support functions in Malawi;
▪ Create and strengthen program delivery systems to ensure high-quality implementation and service delivery;
▪ Coordinate with the MLE team to ensure that program monitoring results and insights are used to improve or sustain program performance;
▪ Coordinate closely with District level government health officials (Health Service Assistants and their supervisors) to identify and troubleshoot challenges that might affect the quality of the program;
▪ Devise evidence-based and cost-effective ways of motivating HSAs and dispenser promoters responsible for each water point.
▪ Generally, promote the culture of cost-effectiveness within the program;
▪ Prepare and manage annual program implementation budget of about 600,000USD, including reviewing monthly financial reports to adjust plans as necessary to stay on budget;
▪ Support the regional and in-country procurement department in all procurement processes, including participating in the procurement and tendering committee decisions, in accordance with Procurement Policies.
▪ Directly provide supervision, guidance, and support to the program implementation team, developing team members into future leaders of the program and motivating them to achieve the program’s goals;
▪ Provide in-country oversight of staff in support departments (including Finance and Administration; Human Resources; Monitoring, Learning, and Information Systems – MLE, etc.);
▪ Lead and live the organization’s values, and champion a positive organizational culture in Malawi
▪ Work with the HR department to lead performance management and professional development of Malawi Program staff;
▪ Provide a friendly and conducive working environment for staff to maximize their productivity.
Regional Coordination and Policy compliance
▪ Closely coordinate with the Regional Office in Nairobi, especially with regard to operations (finance, procurement, HR) functions/support;
▪ Contribute to and ensure compliance with all organizational policies in Malawi, including those of HR, Finance, Procurement, IT, etc;
▪ Function as the secretary for the Organisation’s Board;
▪ Periodically travel to the regional office for internal and external meetings.
▪ Responsible for cultivating and managing partnerships with government (at national and local levels) and other organizations;
▪ With guidance from the Deputy Director, Programs meaningfully contribute towards program fundraising efforts – including providing inputs towards donor proposals, participating in donor forums, and supporting ongoing donor reporting, among others.
▪ Support the organization’s other projects in Malawi if any;
▪ Contribute to setting program-wide research and development priorities;
▪ Provide support to the organization’s other initiatives, including those outside of Malawi, as needed.
Key Performance Indicators
1) Program performance: Maintain program adoption rate of 70%+;
2) Quality of program delivery:
i) achieve and maintain dispenser functionality rate of 90%+,
ii) and ii) achieve and maintain chlorine outage rates of <10%.
3) Operations: Ensure compliance with all program policies, including those of HR, Finance, IT, MLE, Staff safety, etc;
4) Improve and/or maintain excellent working relationships with government and other relevant development stakeholders.
Qualifications & Requirements
▪ At least 5 years of program management experience. Experience working in the water sector desirable;
▪ Bachelor’s degree from a reputable university. Master’s degree preferred;
▪ Excellent people management skills, inclusive of internal and external stakeholders; able to work effectively in a “matrixed” environment; able to manage and work with a multi-cultural team;
▪ Experience leading scale-focused work with a major operations component – building systems, bringing together organization functions, and developing teams with the ability to reach millions of people;
▪ Experience working with partners and nuanced understanding of the opportunities and challenges of government and partner relationships;
▪ Strong belief in the importance of evidence-based decision making; critical, analytical, and process-oriented thinker;
▪ Demonstrated success in forging relationships with senior government officials and engaging in policy decisions and partnership building;
▪ Inspired by our mission of cost-effectively bringing safe water and other evidence-based programs to millions of Malawians;
▪ Track record of being a good steward of program funding and responsibly managing resources, alignment with our philosophy of building a cost-effective program;
▪ An entrepreneurial spirit – the ability to lead in a fast-moving start-up environment;
▪ Unimpeachable integrity – fair, honest, and aligned with the values of the organization;
▪ Willingness to spend 50% of the time in the field in rural Malawi;
▪ Sense of humor.
This position will be based in Lilongwe but will involve close management of program operations in Southern Malawi (with room for other future geographies) as well as coordination with the Africa Regional office in Nairobi.
This position is open to Malawian Nationals