Chief of Party, Health Systems Strengthening, Malawi
The activity will work with local partners and health system counterparts to strengthen health services and systems to effectively manage resources and deliver high-impact health interventions.
Roles and Responsibilities : The COP will provide overall strategic leadership and management of the activity. Specific responsibilities may include but are not limited to:
Provide technical leadership for project activities and liaise with the client on technical direction
- Lead the effective and efficient delivery of the program, within budget, ensuring that USAID expectations and program Key Performance Indicator are met and exceeded
- Develop and execute overall project strategy, work plan, and leadership for the successful implementation of the project.
- Be the first point of contact in charge of liaising and communicating in a productive and politically sensitive manner with the client, programme partners, and key stakeholders
- Manage the development of, and monitors, work plans and budgets; ensure appropriate levels of technical assistance in program operations; oversees and coordinates with key stakeholders and partners; and, ensure appropriate program monitoring and reporting.
- Direct and monitor implementation of activities within the work plan, ensuring that activities are performed to a high professional standard, effectively implemented and fulfil donor and the organization’s requirements.
- Build good working relationships with the client, beneficiaries and other key stakeholders to assist with program delivery.
- Act as liaison between USAID/Malawi, Government of Malawi stakeholders, donors, and all other relevant stakeholders and client country partners on funded activities.
- Ensure quality of program outputs are fully aligned with DAI and client requirements through mentoring, training and monitoring of staff and partners.
- Ensure ownership of program tools such as the detailed annual work plan and ensure that the program is carried out in line with the agreed framework.
Additional responsibilities may be assigned as business needs evolve.
- MB.BS/MD/PHD or similar degree with at least 10 years of demonstrated successful leadership in managing large, complex programs in a similar country context which includes experience as a COP, Team Leader or project director of donor-funded health program;
- Prior experience and technical expertise in maternal, newborn, child mortality and morbidity /or health systems strengthening in Malawi or a similar context.
- Proven leadership and management skills, including a track record of managing and coordinating high-performance teams, including the ability to coach, guide, and inspire the team members to meet their KPIs.
- Documented experience in providing the level of technical assistance that is required to complete the work detailed in the statement of work
- Proven ability to cultivate effective working relationships to engage with the senior government and its counterparts at the national and sub-national levels, as well as other key stakeholders such as donors, other implementing partners, NGOs, civil society, academia, and the private sector.
- Excellent organizational, analytical and oral and written communication skills;
- Knowledge of Malawian health system and reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, adolescent and nutrition services;
- Demonstrated knowledge of USAID policies, procedures and approaches related to program design/implementation, budgeting, monitoring and evaluation; and
- Willingness to undertake international travel as required for a period of up to 1- 2 weeks.
International Trade and Development