Business Continuity Program Data Analyst (SBDC)
Inter-American Development Bank
In The Bahamas, the percentage of firms competing against unregistered or informal firms is 74.6% in the small firms’ segment and 52.6% among medium firms. Therefore, changes in startup registration should also incentivize formalization through simplified registration and digitalization of business registration processes.
To support MSMEs during the COVID-19 crisis, a Business Continuity Program (BCP) was executed by the Small Business Development Center (SBDC), allocating US$30 million in loans to small businesses, ranging from US$5,000 to US$300,000 as well as grants for payroll assistance. Thus, 544 firms benefited, of which 34% were female ‑led.
To broaden the scope of the beneficiaries and reduce informality, the SBDC also developed a program to encourage and support business registration, which supported around 50% of their beneficiaries to formally register their businesses. However, BCP experienced difficulties regarding the monitoring and evaluation of its beneficiaries, as the administrative records for firms have different identification numbers in each relevant institution, such as the National Insurance Board (NIB) and the Inland Revenue.
Currently the Bank is supporting the country in the development and implementation of a policy based loan (PBL) on the “Boosting Resilient and Inclusive Growth in The Bahamas” with the specific objectives of promoting MSMEs’ business continuity and reducing administrative costs in the private sector for a more competitive business climate; and (ii) protecting natural resources, protecting the environment and promoting scientific developments in the Blue Economy for better environmental resiliency. In this regard, the Bank is supporting the SBDC in strengthening its monitoring and evaluation system.
The Team’s Mission:The Country Office in Bahamas is continuing its efforts to improving the execution of its active portfolio. Through its work, the Bank supports the development agenda of the Country working in partnership with Government, private sector and civil society organizations. The Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), through the Competitiveness, Technology, and Innovation (CTI) Division, provides funding, technical assistance and knowledge products to support governments in key action areas such as firm-level innovation, entrepreneurship ecosystems, green innovation, digital transformation, creative economy, social innovation, and productive development.
What you will do: The selected candidate will perform the following activities at the SBDC:
- The consultant will coordinate together with the SBDC the direct or indirect access to the administrative records of DIR and NIB necessary to implement the impact evaluation of the BCP.
- In case of direct access, the consultant will collect, centralize, depurate, harmonize and process microdata delivering ready to use DTA (Stata) files containing outcome and covariant variables for the whole population of firms and workers covered by the administrative records. This is necessary to implement the propensity score matching strategy to identify control units and simulate the counterfactual scenario without intervention (see M&E Plan of BH-L1052).
- In case of indirect access, the consultant, will liaise with the DIR and NIB to run Stata codes (or the specific software used by the respective agency) on the administrative microdata without recording any individual observation but generating all necessary intermediate and final outputs necessary for the implementation of the empirical identification strategy. Under this modality, no specific individual record will be extracted from the national agencies but indirect access to these datapoints will be necessary to perform computations leading to the conformation of the control units, the average outcomes for treated and controls and all the necessary mean tests.
Deliverables and payments timeline: Every report must be submitted to the Bank and SBDC in an electronic file. The report should include cover, main document, and all annexes. Zip files will not be accepted as final reports, due to Records Management Section regulations. The progress and findings of the assignment will be presented in the following reports:
- Deliverable 1 – Work Plan: The expected outcome of the consultancy is the development of a data collection and data reporting system for the SBDC. The work plan (project management plan) should include a synopsis and understanding of the consultancy, proposed activities, timelines, responsibilities, and expected outputs. It is expected that the work plan will be updated, as necessary. The work plan shall include the strategy and timeline describing main activities to be taken, milestones, decision points and trip schedules if needed.
- Deliverable 2 – First Draft: The first draft with the identification of the main data points required by the SBDC and the main outputs with the format and templates.
- Deliverable 3 – Final Draft: The design and implementation of the interface, the compilation of a ready to use dataset or, in case of limitations of access to the microdata, intermediate outputs necessary for the implementation of the impact evaluation of the SBDC BCP, and the production of initial monitoring reports.
The payments will be done according to the following schedule:
- Deliverable 1: 30% Payment after submission of the work plan (2 weeks after contract signature).
- Deliverable 2: 40% Payment after submission of Deliverable 2 (3 months after contract signature).
- Deliverable 3: 30% Payment after submission of Deliverable 3 (6 months after contract signature).
What You’ll Need
- Citizenship: You are either a citizen of The Bahamas or of one of our 48 member countries with residency and legal permit to work in The Bahamas.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB Group.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in economics, Statistics, Computer Science, Data Mining or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years professional experience in data collection and analysis.
- Experience building monitoring and evaluation systems and design of interfaces with data portals.
- Experience working with stakeholders in the public and/or private sectors in The Bahamas or the Caribbean is required.
- Experience using Stata or other software for statistics and data science.
- Experience working with entrepreneurship ecosystems would be a plus.
- The consultant must also demonstrate effective time management skills and ability to work with deadlines
- Language: English.
Core And Technical Competencies
- Identify the multiple data points deriving from the different programs that the SBDC is currently managing, including administrative data from NIB and Inland Revenue, reports from the financial institutions.
- Identify the information needs of the different stakeholders involved in the programs that the NIB manages.
- Identify the required data outputs from the different stakeholders, including type of data, periodicity etc.
- Design the required format and templates
- Design and implement an interface that will facilitate the SBDC to get access to the necessary data in a timely manner, including verification and validation of consistencies etc.
- Compile harmonized and depurated datasets ready to use in impact evaluation studies in case of direct access to the administrative records or processed intermediate outputs in case of indirect access.
- Type of contract and modality: Products and External Services Consultant, Lump Sum
- Length of the contract: 6 months.
- Starting Date: September 2021.
- Location: The Bahamas.
- Responsible person: Private Sector Development Lead Specialist IFD/CTI.
- Requirements: You must be a citizen of one of the IDB’s 48 member countries and have no family members currently working at the IDB Group.
“Due to the current COVID-19 pandemic and its implications for our Region, the IDB Group is reviewing its hiring needs and re-prioritizing its areas of talent acquisition. We encourage candidates to continue to apply to the active postings, yet current job openings may be subject to further decisions in terms of timing of the processes, or other actions, in accordance with business needs. Final hiring decisions may also be conditioned to the candidate’s ability to timely relocate to the post of duty at the moment of starting service.”
Our culture: Our people are committed and passionate about improving lives in Latin-America and the Caribbean, and they get to do what they love in a diverse, collaborative and stimulating work environment. We are the first Latin American and Caribbean development institution to be awarded the EDGE certification, recognizing our strong commitment to gender equality. As an employee you can be part of internal resource groups that connect our diverse community around common interests.
Because we are committed to providing equal opportunities in employment, we embrace all diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+, persons with disabilities, afro-descendants, and indigenous people to apply.
About us: At the IDB, we’re committed to improving lives. Since 1959, we’ve been a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social, and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. We do more than lending though. We partner with our 48-member countries to provide Latin America and the Caribbean with cutting-edge research about relevant development issues, policy advice to inform their decisions, and technical assistance to improve on the planning and execution of projects. For this, we need people who not only have the right skills, but also are passionate about improving lives.
Our team in Human Resources carefully reviews all applications.
- External Opening Date: Aug 23, 2021
- External Closing Date: Aug 27, 2021
- External Contact Email: [email protected]
- External Contact Name: HR Service Center
- Job Field: Technical Support
Business Development and Sales
Information Technology and Services, Human Resources, and Financial Services