Biosecurity Field Operator – Pest Plants
Greater Wellington Regional Council
We are looking for a Biosecurity Field Operator – Pest Plants, based in our Upper Hutt office, to help us protect our environment, as described in Greater Wellington’s Regional Pest Management Plan. The Field Operator will also be involved in surveying and controlling pest plants in some of the regions highest valued biodiversity sites and regional parks.
About Greater Wellington
There’s a lot more to us than meets the eye. Here at Greater Wellington Regional Council, we’re working on the big things that will impact everyone in our region. Ensuring we have uninterrupted access to drinking water, staying safe from the threat of flooding, protecting and enhancing the environment, improving the quality of our fresh water, ensuring we are all connected through our public transport network and planning ahead for the potential impact of climate change across our region. We’re people who are genuinely passionate about the work we do, because we believe what we do counts.
We provide a diverse range of benefits including working options that help our staff balance their own lifestyle and needs with their work commitments. We’re also all about growing our people through professional development and experience across everything the council does.
Skills and experience required:-
- Have working experience in controlling pest plants and / or relevant experience in a related biosecurity / biodiversity field
- Either be able to, or be willing to handle and apply hazardous substances, including the ability to obtain appropriate certification as required
- Be physically fit, and to be able to work and navigate in a range of outdoor situations
- Have a working knowledge of Microsoft Excel and Word programmes (experience in GPS and GIS systems an advantage)
- Have a strong team work ethic with experience working in a small team, but also possess an ability and a willingness to work autonomously
- Have a current full licence to drive a car (quad or LUV riding experience an advantage)
You will require excellent people skills, especially when dealing with landowners, community groups and stakeholders. You will need to be organised with a desire for doing the job right the first time.
Greater Wellington offers an attractive workplace in a friendly and supportive environment.
Click on the “Apply” link to view the job description and to apply for the position with a cover letter and CV.
For further information on the role contact Mark McAlpine, Team Leader Pest Plants on 0271 576 502.
Applications close: Friday, 3 September 2021
Due to current border restrictions from the New Zealand Government we are only able to accept applications from candidates who are a New Zealand Citizen/Resident or who have already secured the right to work in New Zealand and hold a valid visa. For further information, please visit www.immigration.govt.nz
Management and Manufacturing
Environmental Services, Government Administration, and Financial Services