Associate Settlement Planning Officer
Within The Delegated Authority And Under The Supervision Of Senior Durable Solutions Officer Or His/her Designated Mandated Representative(s), The UN Volunteer Associate Settlement Planning Officer Will Undertake The Following Tasks
- Assess and confirm the feasibility of setting up camps for refugees in accordance with international recognised criteria of accessibility, security, water resources and type of terrain. Assess potential expansion of existing site as needed. Produce drawings of camps including infrastructure based on field data collected by GPS.
- Work in close coordination with relevant local Government Ministries and relevant Departments to ensure that technical factors related to natural resources, local law issues, protection of environment, land property issues and local communities land use are included in any assessment.
- Develop site planning and its implementation modalities, including construction of communal infrastructures, taking into account overall needs of target groups, their cultural preferences and the concerns of the local communities.
- Ensure that camp design takes into consideration protection concerns including those related to gender-based violence and potential discrimination of persons with specific needs.
- Ensure that site designs take into consideration security concerns (especially those of women and children) and plan adequate location for all required infrastructure.
- Assist development and implementation of UNHCR programs through analysis of budgetary implications of technical inputs. Provide cost estimations of technical activities, including development of bill of quantities for construction of infrastructure and other works.
- Work in close collaboration with UNHCR partners in each site/camp to facilitate achievement of international standards.
- Develop adequate tools for monitoring technical activities and provide regular monitoring and evaluation of implementation by UNHCR partners, including assessment of contracting procedures.
- Provide technical guidance to UNHCR management and to partners, including establishment of adequate strategy for care and maintenance of the transit centres/camps and their associated infrastructure.
- Provide regular technical reports, including specific progress reports on status of the implementation.
- Assist UNHCR office with any other technical related issues as required by the Supervisor.
- Ensure use of participatory and community-based approaches in the planning and implementation of projects, ensuring that humanitarian responses build on local capacity.
Qualifications/Requirements Required degree level Bachelor degree or equivalent Educational additional comments
Type of Degree: A bachelor’s degree in Architecture, Civil Engineering, Construction, Urban Planning is required
Desirable Qualifications And Skills
Required experience 36 Months Experience remark
- At least 3 years of professional work experience in refugee programmes or similar humanitarian operations including planning sites for refugee settlement, camp infrastructure and related technical issues.
- Excellent oral and written skills, excellent drafting, formulation and reporting skills are a requirement.
- Excellent interpersonal skill, culturally and socially sensitive; ability to collaboratively work a team of various background
- Proficient in use of computer applications and knowledge of settlement planning tools e.g. AutoCAD & GIS.
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision, ability to work with tight deadlines
- Sound security awareness.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Area of expertise Protection of refugees, asylum seekers and IDPs Area of expertise details
- Professionalism: demonstrated understanding of operations relevant to UNHCR; technical capabilities or knowledge relevant or transferrable to UNHCR procedures and rules; discretion, political sensitivity, diplomacy and tact to deal with clients; ability to apply good judgement; ability to liaise and coordinate with a range of different actors, especially in senior positions; where appropriate, high degree of autonomy, personal initiative and ability to take ownership; resourcefulness and willingness to accept wide responsibilities and ability to work independently under established procedures; ability to manage information objectively, accurately and confidentially; responsive and client-oriented;
- Integrity: demonstrate the values and ethical standards of the UN and UNHCR in daily activities and behaviours while acting without consideration of personal gains; resist undue political pressure in decision-making; stand by decisions that are in the organization’s interest even if they are unpopular; take prompt action in cases of unprofessional or unethical behaviour; does not abuse power or authority;
- Teamwork and respect for diversity: ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries; excellent interpersonal skills; ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and harmonious working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, mixed-gender environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity; sensitivity and adaptability to culture, gender, religion, nationality and age; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of UN operations; ability to achieve common goals and provide guidance or training to colleagues;
- Commitment to continuous learning: initiative and willingness to learn new skills and stay abreast of new developments in area of expertise; ability to adapt to changes in work environment.
- Planning and organizing: effective organizational and problem-solving skills and ability to manage a large volume of work in an efficient and timely manner; ability to establish priorities and to plan, coordinate and monitor (own) work; ability to work under pressure, with conflicting deadlines, and to handle multiple concurrent projects/activities;
- Communication: proven interpersonal skills; good spoken and written communication skills, including ability to prepare clear and concise reports; ability to conduct presentations, articulate options and positions concisely; ability to make and defend recommendations; ability to communicate and empathize with staff (including national staff), military personnel, volunteers, counterparts and local interlocutors coming from very diverse backgrounds; capacity to transfer information and knowledge to a wide range of different target groups;
- Flexibility: adaptability and ability to live and work in potentially hazardous and remote conditions, involving physical hardship and little comfort; to operate independently in austere environments for protracted periods; willingness to travel within the area of operations and to transfer to other duty stations within the area of operations as necessary;
Genuine commitment towards the principles of voluntary engagement, which includes solidarity, compassion, reciprocity and self-reliance; and commitment towards UNHCR mission and vision, as well as to the UN Core Values.
Driving license Competencies values Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams Application procedure * Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink. Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply. * Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool? Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply. Application deadline: 23 September 2021
Management and Manufacturing
Information Technology and Services, Nonprofit Organization Management, and Government Administration