Academy Teaching & Learning Instructor – Barbados
Ross University School of Medicine
Ross University School of Medicine invites applications for a faculty position as Instructor or Assistant Professor in the Academy for Teaching and Learning (ATL) in Barbados. The Faculty position will report to the Director of the Academy for Teaching and Learning in Barbados. ATL is dedicated to the development and support of our community of scholars with a mission to foster a culture of innovation and excellence in teaching and learning. The Academy for Teaching and Learning provides mentorship, skills development and educational support to enhance our scholars’ life-long pursuit of learning and discovery. The focus of this position will be to help develop the academic skills students need to succeed in the first two years of the MD program (Basic Sciences), to support their preparation for the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) and to help them make a successful transition into the third year of their medical education.
Ross University School of Medicine is a member of Adtalem Global Education (NYSE: ATGE), a global education provider headquartered in the United States. The organization’s purpose is to empower students to achieve their goals, find success and make inspiring contributions to our global community. Founded in 1978, RUSM is committed to educating a diverse group of skilled physicians to serve as leaders in the U.S. healthcare system. With more than 16,000 alumni, RUSM is an important contributor to healthcare in North America. Students complete their foundational studies in Bridgetown, Barbados, before completing their clinical training in one of our United States teaching hospital affiliates
Working directly with medical students through the Academy for Teaching and Learning, the suitable candidate will become an active member of a faculty team participating in the following activities:
- Facilitation of semester long academic support through a one-on-one process of academic coaching to help student examine academic concerns and perceived barriers to success; help students to assess their strengths and needs; and devise a personal plan of action.
- Design and facilitation of individual student and small group sessions designed to enhance critical thinking and clinical reasoning in the medical sciences
- Use of inquiry-based learning, questioning dialogues and exploratory talk to improve critical reasoning skills.
- Small group and individual interventions for the enhancement of students’ academic literacy and their facility with clinical reasoning and integration of basic science concepts
- Selection, refinement and implementation of study and test-taking skills training for individual students, specifically targeting medical education and preparation multiple choice exams.
- Design of formative assessments to enhance cognitive skill development
- Collaborative development of teaching and learning material resources.
- Collaboration with student affairs and counseling departments to support all aspects of student development.
- Support students in conducting medical research initiatives and proposals that lead to publications as part of their academic development
- Participate in medical education research on effectiveness of various interventions on student academic outcomes.
- Completes other duties as assigned.
- Previous experience working with adult learners in STEM required; experience in medical education preferred.
- Terminal degree in Medicine, or Education fields. MD or DO preferred. Alternatively, an EdD or PHD or Masters in Education with experience in medical student academic support.
- Teaching experience, in both large and small group formats with evidence of effectiveness.
- Mentoring or academic coaching experience of individual students with evidence of success.
- Well-grounded in logic and critical analysis, preferably with training in medicine and/or basic sciences.
- Understanding of educational theory and psychology of learning.
- Excellent communication skills in English
- Flexibility and ability to work well on a team.
- Knowledge of principles, methods, techniques, materials and equipment used in postsecondary teaching/medical education
- Desire for self-improvement and continuing education in the field of medical education.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (both oral and written) essential. Good knowledge of computer software programs (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required
- Must possess strong customer service, critical thinking, and collaborative skills along with ability to effectively communicate and establish rapport with a diverse group of students, faculty, and constituents across University.
- Prior teaching experience at a North American or Caribbean Medical School
- Experience developing online learning products or courses or training
- Experience with USMLE Step 1 exam preparation preferred.
- Knowledge of psychology and counseling
- Knowledge of the educational needs of students with disabilities
- Demonstrated experience of incorporating emotional intelligence, brain based science and cognitive intelligence principles into student development programming
- Experience working with English as a Second Language Learners
- Student Affairs Experience or experience developing interventions to enhance the academic learning environment from pre-matriculation to graduation
- Ability to demonstrate ongoing faculty development in medical education desirable.
- Educational technology skills, including use of e-learning management systems, audience response systems, online examinations, videoconferencing
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. At Adtalem, we welcome everyone and have a strong commitment towards diversity and inclusion. We encourage our Colleagues to be their true authentic selves and support laws that prohibit discrimination everywhere we do business. We also maintain a drug-free workplace.
As an organization dedicated to educating the healthcare leaders of tomorrow and empowering members to make inspiring contributions to our global community, we know that it is our responsibility to lead by example and continue minimizing the risks of spreading COVID-19. Employment at Adtalem and/or its subsidiaries requires compliance with the organization’s Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Policy, to the extent permitted by the laws of your country, province/state, and/or local area. All employees in areas of the world that permit mandatory COVID-19 vaccination are required to be fully vaccinated within 60 days of their date of hire unless they receive an exemption from Adtalem’s HR Coaching Resource Center because of issues such as access or an approved medical or religious accommodation.
Who We Are
With more than 14,000 alumni practicing throughout North America,Ross University School of Medicine has been providing students with the foundation to pursue successful careers in medicine since 1978. The Ross experience is “Dedita Scientiae Medendi” – dedicated to the science of healing – and we are proud of our rich tradition of preparing students for their life’s work as physicians. Students complete medical sciences coursework at our new world-class campus in Barbados, followed by clinical education in the United States at leading teaching hospitals across the country.
Ross is proud to fulfill a social mission by educating a diverse group of skilled doctors who practice primary care, work in medically underserved areas, and are more representative overall of the communities in which they serve. Learn more about Ross University School of Medicine, part of Adtalem Global Education, at www.medical.rossu.edu.
Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We pride ourselves in nurturing a culture that encourages everyone to bring their full selves to work each day. To us, diversity and inclusion needs to be intentional to be impactful. We don’t just welcome differences, we celebrate them. #WeAreAdtalem
To learn more about our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion, click here to visit our Diversity page.
Education and Training
Higher Education, Education Management, and Hospital & Health Care
Por favor, para apuntarte a este trabajo visita bb.linkedin.com.